The streets of Paris and the mountains of Vermont couldn't be more different. But I love them both. Perhaps it is the Gemini in me that is at once attracted to both the history and mystery and sophistication of Paris, and the snow-capped peaks, flowing rivers, and laid back feel of the Green Mountains. Vermont for me is like Martha's Vineyard. A place that's a little bit caught in the past, and steeped in natural beauty, quiet, and simplicity so that it calms the soul.I grew up minutes away from Vermont, and spent many weekends skiing there with friends or family. My parents would often take us on Sunday drives to leaf peep or visit flea markets or ride a gondola, and we'd watch John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl play tennis at Stratton in the summer.
Recently I found a poem I wrote at the end of college, as I was torn about what do do when I graduated. Move to the mountains, or get a job that actually paid me to live was the decision I had to make. I chose the practical route and moved to Boston, which, in the end, led me to the happy life I have now, but clearly I was torn at the time...
It's just slightly embarrassing to reveal my poetry from the age of 20 (and yes, there is more where this came from -- I was 20, what can I say.) but I'll share this little excerpt because it's perfect for this post about a place I have loved for a very long time.
"Looming ahead up this winding pass
graceful, powerful, snow-capped peaks
their access blocked by nature's fury
and reality's restraint.
I gather my thoughts and tune out the hopes
of a quiet life among the trees.
Practicality grasps me and whispers in my ears.
Stability is what the World calls for
Not the flightiness of taking off into nature.
But happiness beckons in the distance
It is in the form of tall evergreens
and cool splashing brooks
and moss covered rocks on which tiny insects lie.
Quiet stillness drowns out the World.
I close my eyes and I am free here..."
And now, I will leave the bad poetry aside and share the Vermont I love in pictures. Click here to view the entire Vermont gallery.













No comments:
Post a Comment