Old Blog

Hello - You have reached my (VERY!) old blog at this address, but please click here to view my current portfolio!




Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Beautiful Day for a Wedding

Anyone who has been following the progression of this business of mine knows that a huge turning point for me came last October, when I attended the Substance photography workshop given by Jenna Walker and Katie Thurmes of Jenna Walker Photographers in Colorado. During my weekend in Boulder I made new friends and enjoyed the beauty of Colorado, but more importantly, was given a gift by Jenna and Katie -- the belief that I could do this. For real. The advice and encouragement that they gave to the nine of us who attended was invaluable. When I came back, I bought a logo, made myself a website, and set off down this path with a confidence I never thought I would have.

As luck would have it, Katie had a wedding booked out here this May (because she's just so awesome that someone from Massachusetts would want to fly her out here to shoot their wedding!) and was gracious enough to allow me to tag along as an "assistant".  She confessed to me a couple of days before that she doesn't actually use assistants, but she would gladly have me carry her bag/cameras as needed during the day. (I offered to fetch her water, but she declined.) At dinner the night before she drew me a little map of the ceremony setting on a napkin and gave me tips on where to stand and what to look for.

I knew that this would be a huge opportunity to watch her in action and learn a ton. And I did. And I got to do a whole lot more than carry her bag. I shot the entire day, except for some corralling of family during formal time. What a joy. What a great experience. What fun.

And an amazing wedding it was -- a family with four beautiful daughters, celebrating this wedding at their home. They were oozing love and joy and fun the whole time. It was great. And to top it all off, on this Saturday in early May (which as you know, can be a crap shoot around here in terms of weather), the sun was shining and the sky was blue. Perfect all around.

So here are a few of my images from that beautiful day. Enjoy! And thank you Katie for a fun and amazing opportunity!




























4 comments:

  1. Cristen - you really really captured the joy and happiness of the day - brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing!! I especially love the one with the little flower girls in the woods, the cake and the tent at twilight.

    ReplyDelete