While we are all celebrating the new year, I thought I'd look at some of the old things I love to photograph. People who know me well, or have been around me when I'm taking pictures, know I love things that are old, rusty, beat up, etc. Kind of like the house we bought 8 years ago (though it's come a long way since then). To me, the wear of time means something has a story and gives an object (or even a face) character and life that something new and pristine has difficulty conveying.
I love old door latches, made of rough-hewn iron, with thumb plates that are polished smooth from years of use. Or the layers of rust built up on an old fishing boat that leads one to imagine many trips to sea and long harsh winters in the water. I once found a set of old skeleton keys in my attic; hung from a gold cord on a rusty nail -- who knows how many years ago -- and still holding the mystery of what they once unlocked. And then there are old houses, full of history and old objects and built during a time when there were no power tools to help get the job done easier or faster.
So as we look ahead to the rest of 2011, here's an appreciative look back at the past. Wishing you health and happiness in the New Year.
No comments:
Post a Comment