Old Blog

Hello - You have reached my (VERY!) old blog at this address, but please click here to view my current portfolio!




Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What Photographs Mean to Me -- Andover, MA Children and Family Portrait Photographer

I loved photographs long before I ever knew what shutter speed was or how to set aperture to make beautiful depth of field.  I value photography as a keeper of memories and something for my children and their children to have long into the future.

But there's something special about photographs that are more than snapshots -- images that not only capture a finite moment in time, but are beautiful to look at too. Those are the ones that go on the wall or in a frame so that we can look at them during a busy day and be reminded of something or someone or someplace that makes us smile. Or laugh. Or feel calm. Or loved.

These are the kind of photographs I want to provide for my clients. The kind they couldn't take themselves because they lack the skills or equipment or the ability to get their kids to sit still for a picture (what parent can get their own kids to sit still for a picture? -- not me!). And not the ones in front of some backdrop in the mall or studio that a hundred other families stood in front of. I want them to choose a place that is special, or beautiful, or fun, or just true to their life.

Mine is the typical "cobbler's children" story... I have a few good photos of my kids, that I've managed to get with the aid of threats or bribes. But certainly none of the four of us, happily smiling together, because I am the one who takes the pictures!

Then, on New Years Day, we decided to hop the boat to Martha's Vineyard for the day. We spend two weeks there during the summer, but we try to get over once every winter just to see the island when there are no crowds. Just the peace and quiet of that special place.

So we dragged the kids out of bed at 7 (after they had stayed up until Midnight) and headed to the boat. They were grumps. Mad that we made them get up early and go to the Island where the fudge shop and Flying Horses were closed for the Winter. But once we got there, they too seemed to feel that calm of the place. The girls didn't fight. They didn't complain about walking the beach.  We just had fun and visited some of our favorite places.

They loved Lucy Vincent Beach and its big rocks for climbing up and jumping off. I was taking their picture -- of course -- when a woman walked up and asked if we'd like a photograph of the four of us. You know how those pictures taken by strangers usually turn out -- not so good. But guess what -- she knew how to work my DSLR -- and in fact had the same camera as me. She took several shots -- some this way, some that way until she was satisfied. We thanked her and wished her a happy new year and she was off.

Guess what -- the picture is great! My kids are looking at the camera and smiling (!), we're in our favorite place on the planet and the ocean and the sky are behind us. And that picture makes me smile. It was a gift from that stranger and I wish I could tell her how much I love it.

I always understood the value of a good photograph, but I rarely have that feeling for myself. This is what I want to share with the families who book me to photograph them. I hope I can bring a smile to your face and give you a picture that is a memory keeper too. I know how important it is!

Happy New Year!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment